Vancouver Parks & Gardens
Situated on the periphery of downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park was originally designated as a military reserve by the British in the 1860's. By 1888, the park was officially leased to the Vancouver City Council and named after Governor General Lord Stanley.
In addition to the park's natural allure, there are many man-made facilities including a seawall that circles the park providing a paved path for cyclists, pedestrians and in-line skaters. Other popular attractions include the water-park, miniature rail road, outdoor theatre, sports track and Children's Farmyard, as well as the many monuments, statues and plaques, which commemorate the region's history. Stanley Park is also the site of Canada's largest aquarium.